The Babb Family

I created this site to let everyone know how things are going in our family. I would love some input from everyone. Hope you guys enjoy.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange, Texas

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Severely Allergic

Oh my God!!!!! I can't believe what happened. I was going outside to do some clean up work in our yard and I thought it would be fun if the kids came outside in their bathing suits and played in the water from the hose. So we're outside having fun and all of a sudden I realize that Becca has gone back around to the front of the house (we were on the side of the house). I called her back over and she started saying "OW!". Then I looked at her legs and she was being bitten by ants, of course I immediately started to hose her legs down to get them off of her. I got all the kids shoes off and made sure there were no more ants on them I then sent them inside to get showers in case there were any left in their clothes. By the time I got Becca to the shower she was already starting to turn red. I rinsed her off and started getting her dressed while I was calling the doctors office. They told me to bring her in ASAP. By the time I got her to the doctor's office she was covered from head to toe in whelps and she was red. The doctor said that she also heard her start to wheeze. They rushed her into a room and started giving her a breathing treatment then they gave her a shot of epinephrine and a steroid shot. She eventually started to return to her normal color. So now we know that she is extremely allergic to ants and she has to carry around an epipen. I was so completely stressed out that day. Oh and now because of all of this she has to spend two weeks staying out of the sun and heat. Which is going to be no picnic at all considering that we live in Texas.

3 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

Wow that is very scary! I am glad that you were able to know right away what the cause was. My daughter broke out in hives and still to this day we do not know what caused it!

8:34 AM  
Blogger Debra said...

That is SCARY!!!! Oh my goodness. Poor thing and poor mom!!! Olivia would get hives after being bit my ants, but never did affect her breathing.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Coming from South Florida where there are a TON of fire ants - that is super scary stuff. man - I am glad she is ok. bummer that you will have to be so much more on the alert when outside.
keep us posted.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home